04 Dec EVEN ODDS — Our diversity is what defines us and brings us together for the love of design
“Made up of oddballs, misfits and characters of all sorts we believe in celebrating our differences together. Our diversity is what defines us and brings us together for the love of design.”
Even Odds Graphic Design Graduate show from 4–14 December 2019 at Gallery Central
Over the past three years, Even Odds graduate students have learnt so much — not just about graphic design but about themselves as well. Their portfolios are a reflection of who they are and how much they have grown and improved. It is also a reflection of NM TAFE’s incremental improvements with a staggering 18 submissions and 50% pass rate to the highly acclaimed International Society of Typographic Designers Student Assessment scheme.
ISTD engages with universities and institutions across the globe to raise the profile of typography in design. This year, 18 Even Odds students engaged with the scheme to explore and develop typography as an inherent part of the design process and thus bring the typographic gesture to the forefront of their design education.
With an amazing Graduate Show Reel, stunning Graduate Catalogue, largest ever painted wall mural in the gallery and an opening night featuring stunning photos by Shannon Skinner — we have enjoyed an outstanding showcase of hot talent this year.
Highlights this year for Even Odds include a range of facilitated professional talks, industry tours and workshops
Even Odds enjoyed:
- Paper Play with Geoff Earl and Spicers Paper
- Google Ads workshop with Alex Gavalas from Bonfire
- An insightful Dan Carroll talk from Clarity Communications
- Honour Roll VIP Session with Media Super and Guerrilla Collective
- Digital Marketing talk with Evan Cunningham-Dunlop from Living Online
- IP Talk with Nigel Chen-Tan FB RICE Lawyers
- Alumni talks with Russ Goodman (Reaktor) and Anthony Musca (Curtin)
- ISTD introduction and two professional concepting and crafting session with with Becky Chilcott (ISTD & CHIL3)
- Binding and print talk with chief trouble maker Paula Siudek and Emilee Hudswell from GO PRINT WA
- Advanced Press onsite visit and tour with legend, John Hartley
- A masterclass with Rikki Clarke from Creative Spaces
- Mindfulness workshop with Simone Nabholz from Winterwares
- Shortlisted two teams in the international Google Ads Online Marketing Challenge
- Callum Macrae won a GOLD WorldSkills Australia Medal and was placed with The Communications Council WA Jump Start Program
- Portfolio Review with help from professional from AGDA WA
- A solid 15 student mentees were placed with mentors via AGDA WA
Plus, of course a big thanks to event management students and staff; gallery and management; our amazing judging team for 2019; Christof for MCing; our guests and naturally, none of this could happen without our graduate show sponsors.
2019 Even Odds Graduate Awards for Excellence
|Award for Excellence||Judge||2019 Winner|
|BEAUMONT AWARD||Aimee Johns & Drew Turner | The Butcher Shop||Monique Reeves|
|TYPOGRAPHIC EXCELLENCE AWARD||Isabel Kruger & Becky Chilcott | Media on Mars & Chil3||Aksana Rybakova|
|BRANDING EXCELLENCE AWARD||Cameron Murray & Mark Braddock | Block Branding||Aksana Rybakova|
|DIGITAL DESIGN EXCELLENCE AWARD||Adam Graveley | Firefly360||Rebecca Rumball|
|PACKAGING EXCELLENCE AWARD||Neil Turner & Sue Mawer | Turner Design||Queenie Thum|
|ILLUSTRATION EXCELLENCE AWARD||Oakley Fletcher | Likable Creative||Jennifer Kostner|
|AGDA – BEST OF SHOW||Sam Gorecki | AGDA WA (State Chair) & With_Architecture Studio||Aksana Rybakova|
|TRAVIS WALKER MEMORIAL AWARD||All lecturing staff for the students who demonstrated “Noble acts of selflessness”||Eliza Zaikos & Melannie Lai|
All photography by Shannon Skinner from Shannonuncut Photography.
Review the full capture of the opening night here: